03 February 2013

Marathon Madness

(I doubt this Note will be of much interest to anyone but me;
but I have to get this out of my head and Husband is sick of hearing it!)

As I have heard from many and varied sources, training for a Marathon will take over your life. I accepted this as fact; but, academically, the same way that everyone told me having a kid would change my life. Also in the same way, I am discovering the reality is so much more than one can ever know beforehand!

My Run/Walk coach says, "We train using a textbook plan, but we don't lead textbook lives."  As my training plan progresses and the weekly long runs get longer and longer, I am realizing I will not be able to do my long runs on Saturdays. So, I am reevaluating my plan to figure out when to do my long runs.


Parameters, constraints, restrictions:
1) WORK: I have two part-time jobs. I split my time as a (contract) Trainer on M-Tu-W, and 19 hours a week at the Library on Th (7.5) - F (7.5) - Sa (4). Sunday is the day of rest. It took some doing, but I was able to arrange my schedule to make the Library hours add up to 19, maximize my availability for Training, and have the days at my two jobs be consecutive. This arrangement has been working very well for nearly two years, and I have no need to change it.  

2)  TIME: I decided that I do not want to run or work out before 7am or after 7pm. If I can't fit it in that time, I'll make adjustments. Thus, the option of "split runs" on Saturdays is not attractive to me.  It would mean getting up and out by 5, 6, in the morning.  Plus, I need to spend SOME time with my Family!

3) Run/Walk Group Coaching Sessions:
Saturdays for the last two years:
-- Wake at 6:30 AM. Out the door at 7:30 AM. Half-hour drive to meeting place. Meet with the group at 8:00 AM for coaching session. Off and running about 8:45 AM. Return at various time depending on distance. Half-hour drive home. Get home by 11:30 at the latest to shower, eat, get dressed for work. Work at Library from 1:00-5:00 PM.
Current Situation:
-- My effective max distance I can do post-coaching is 2, maybe 2.5 hours. Based on my current effective pace, this is up to 10-11-12 miles, which worked fine in the past for Half-marathon training and this year so far building my base. NOW, training for Marathon distances puts over into the realm of 14, 17, 20 miles and 3, 3.5, 4 hours ... which if I participate in the Sat Coaching, would make me late for my 1pm-5pm shift at the Library.  
-- I certainly *could* do my long runs on Saturdays if I either skip the group coaching or get up super early to complete part of my distance, then join the coaching, and then finish after.  Neither of these options are attractive to me, as I enjoy my participation in the group and do not wish to get up that early when I don't "have" to.

So ... Options:
1) Suspend Marathon training for another time and train for a different event, shorter distance.
-- I remain open to this possibility, but am holding off at this time.

2) Complete the Long Run on a different day of the week --
-- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: Since I am on contract, although I am "available" on M-Tu-W, I do not necessarily work *every* M-Tu-W.  However, I do not consider these days reliably "open" to schedule my Long Run for one of these days.
-- Thursday: I do work at the Library on Thursdays, however it is from 1-9 pm. Plenty of time for a long run in the morning and still get ready for work. Makes for a long day, but definitely an option.
-- Friday: Also a working day at the Library, usually from 10-6, but work closing (1-9) on rotation. It would be very easy to request to "always" work closing, and thus leave mornings open for Long Run.
-- Saturday: already discussed. 
-- Sunday:  I would really like to keep this day "sacred" as a Day of Rest. No committments to work or training or anything. I need to spend SOME time with my family! Plus, I want to resume attendence at religious services.  I am delaring this "Not an Option" for Long Run.

3) Suggestions?

No comments: