28 May 2016

2031


I think it touches on some truths, but at the same time, just a slice. 13 is such an age -- I remember doing equivilent behaviours with my friends using what I had at the time (in 1985). Talking on the phone all.the.time. with a series of friends, comparing notes, just to circle back around to call the first one again to share what "Everyone" else had said.

Only time will tell what the impact is as today's 13-year-olds grow up and out of those years into the later teen years and adulthood. I don't think it will be catastrophic or the end of society or wasted youth. All those things have been predicted and more in the past already. This technology may be unprecedented, but tbh I just can't believe that in the long run it will be qualitatively different.

On the flip side! Read "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. He consciously set out to revamp Orwell's 1984 for the 21st Century. If you recall, Mr. Orwell wrote his book in 1948, when the height of fascism was still fresh in everyone's mind and communism is in full swing. Since The Circle was published in 2013, maybe follow Orwell's lead and give it the unofficial title "2031".

Many of the themes in that novel represent a possible natural extension of the behaviors we see in today's teens. Today's youth born from 2002-2011 will be in their 20's in 2031. My girl, my nieces, and all their friends are in this group.

The takeaway may well be not to fear, malign, or surpress the technology but as always, to keep Human Nature in check and maintain our Humanity.

No comments: