11 January 2011

Nutrition Seminar Take-aways

Nutrition Seminar Take-aways

So one of the "extras" that I get with signing up with my local Run/Walk group is the chance to attend free seminars. Last Friday (Jan 7, 11), I went to part one-of-two of a nutrition and weight loss clinic. It was VERY informative for a couple of reasons: 1) I found out I am actually well-informed about nutrition in general, and 2) I still learned a LOT!  I'm looking forward to part two this Friday.
I'd like to share what I learned. I am sure this information is widely available, it's just the first time I heard it. There is an actual calculation for figuring out the calories you need daily just to stay alive: the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)! Surprise! One must know their own personal number to find success with calorie-deficit dieting.


Let me use my numbers to show you how it works.  Here is the calcuation (English measure, for women):
BMR =
655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
655 + (4.35 x 240) + (4.7 x 66) - (4.7 x 38)
655 + 1044 + 310.2 - 178.6
= 1830.6

There are some modifiers based on activity level. I am starting at Sedentary (little or no average weekly activity) so I take my BMR 1830 x 1.2 = 2196.  That is how many calories to consume each day to maintain my current state.

But I don't want to maintain! I want to tap into my reserves and burn off that stored fat! So let's calculate a modest daily deficit to shed one pound per week.  One pound of fat = 3500 calories. Divide that by 7 days a week = 500 calories per day. Now take that 500 from your daily number. 2196 - 500 = 1696.  Let's round and call that 1700 calories per day for me to lose one pound a week.

Now, to also stay HEALTHY while doing this, here are the recommendations from the presenter to break down calories for the macronutrients:
20% of calories from lean protein (9 calories per gram),
20% from fat (nuts, olive oil, avocado, fish) (4 cal per gram)
60% from carbs (fruit & grains) (4 cal / g)

With my numbers that would be:
20% of 1700 = 340 calories
60% of 1700 = 1020 calories
340 calories from fats = 37 grams daily
340 calories from protein = 85 grams daily
1020 cal of carbs = 255 grams daily

Also, balance calories across meals and snacks throughout the day to avoid peaks and valleys of energy. He recommends eating 6 times a day! Yes, 6! Eat something every two-three hours to stay anabolic:  Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.  60% of calories for the three main meals, the other 40% for the three snacks.  So with my numbers that looks like this:
~ Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are about 340 calories each.
~ Three snacks are about 225 calories each.

Regarding that last snack: He addressed the common recommendation that one should not eat after a certain time of night. (Hello, Oprah!)  He said it's easier to tell people not to eat at all just before bed, than to describe what the "proper" snack should be to tide you over through the night until you break-fast. He had a few suggestions, but I only jotted down two: (low-fat) cottage cheese with pineapple and (low-fat) Greek yogurt.  Basically high protein, low fat, low glycemic index.  "slow" food.

He didn't say, but it seems logical that a person should run through these calculations periodically (every month or so) to re-calibrate for accuracy as we get older, our activity level changes, we lose or gain weight, etc.
[*Edit 8/7/11: I am now at 190 pounds and my new daily calorie goal (BMR x activity factor - 500 cal deficit) is now 1450 a day!]

There are two main ways to factor for activity.  One is to average it out across your daily calorie budget using the activity factor.  The other is to "eat back" your exercise calories only on the days you actually exercise.  Both have advantages, but the main take-away is to remember to eat a little more the more active you become.  BECAUSE, you want your NET calorie deficit to remain around 500-750 cals per day. Otherwise, you are not giving your body enough fuel for basic metabolic functions and it will shut down fat burning to conserve calories!  Calories are not then enemy. The "trick" is getting educated on the proper amount for your body and lifestyle -- not too much and not too few either!

Well, I promise not to post all the time with constant updates of every little thing I eat. BO-RING! If I follow these recommendations and stick with Boise Run Walk, the proof will be in the pudding.  Each month I'll be four pounds lighter, and by the end of the year, I'll have lost the 50 pounds that I must to save my life.
[Edit: I have found an online food diary and calorie tracking: http://www.myfitnesspal.com]
[Edit Oct'11: I have lost 60 pounds in nine months! 40 to go!]

I hope you are inspired to find your BMR and eat well for long life and health.  :)

No comments: